'I regret adopting my daughter I feel like I'm babysitting a stranger's kid'

Started by Chyna, Feb 01, 2024, 11:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chyna

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/i-regret-adopting-daughter-feel-31947707

'I regret adopting my daughter I feel like I'm babysitting a stranger's kid'

A mum has sparked outrage after admitting she regrets adopting her daughter as she has never loved her as much as her biological children and still sees her as 'someone else's child'

By Paige Freshwater Content Editor

13:38, 23 Jan 2024Updated15:05, 23 Jan 2024

A mum has caused a stir by confessing she regrets adopting her daughter, admitting she's never loved her as much as her biological children. She shared her story on Reddit, explaining that after having her son through IVF, she chose to adopt for her second child.  However, she confessed she's never been able to bond with her adopted daughter and over time, even began to resent her. The woman wrote: "So years ago before the birth of my first son, I was told it would be hard for me and my husband to conceive. We went through IVF and eventually I gave birth to my son.  A few years later we wanted another child but didn't want to have to go through the time and expense we did the last time with our son. So we decided to adopt. We adopted this beautiful baby girl whose parents were too young to raise her themselves. I loved her so much and treated her no different but I've never had the feeling she's my own. I often feel like I'm babysitting someone else's child. I feel terrible but I can't help it.  I've tried forcing myself to feel it but I just don't. She's 15 now and I've never felt a connection with her."

But four years ago, the woman discovered she'd fallen pregnant naturally - and was expecting another girl. This only strained her relationship with her adopted daughter further, as she started to feel more excluded from the family.  "We were so surprised since it just happened naturally and we found out it was going to be a girl. During the pregnancy, my hormones were all over the place and I started hating my adopted daughter because I felt if I had just waited then I wouldn't have to have had her. When my daughter was born everything just felt right. I felt a proper connection like with my son and I bonded straight away."

In search of sympathy, she confessed: "I sound horrible but adopting her was a massive mistake. I wish I could go back in time. I love her to pieces but unfortunately not as much as my biological children. I hate myself for it since I promised her parents I'd love her no different and I feel like I've let everyone down."

To this, one Reddit user replied: "Therapy for you. Under no circumstances tell your daughter that you don't love her as much as your bio kids, though that's something that's not hard to miss. Reach out to her birth family, if they're decent people and you haven't maintained contact, and see if they'd be interested in spending more time with her. This girl deserves to be enthusiastically cared for and loved by the people in her life. What about your husband? Does he feel the same way?"

Another person commented: "Since you already had a biological child you shouldn't have adopted. I have heard lots of adoptees say they have always felt like they were competing with the biological child of the adoptive parent. I will say at least you have the courage to be honest, which is rare among adoptive parents. Does the child have any interaction with her birth family? Perhaps if she had a good relationship she could go back to them."

A third person chimed in: "I really hope your adoptive daughter doesn't know how you feel. Have you looked into professional help for yourself to dissect what's going on and why you haven't allowed yourself to bond? There are so many techniques out there that could have been used to create that bond. I know because I used some of them when I struggled to bond with my adoptive daughter. They worked. I feel so upset on behalf of your 15-year-old. I hope she never finds out and that you've said this because you want things to change.  You can work to repair and create that bond rather than dwelling on the past and your own anger and regret. I hope you haven't damaged her through any perceptible emotional distance on your part. How dreadfully sad that you still feel you are babysitting someone else's child after all these years. Please stop dwelling on what might have been and step up to being the best parent you can be to her by seeking help if need be."