British foster mother of Afghan migrant, 28, who was deported after raping ....

Started by Topaz, Mar 13, 2023, 11:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topaz

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11852167/British-woman-fostered-Afghan-migrant-28-deported-raping-girl-tells-NOT-come-back.html

British foster mother of Afghan migrant, 28, who was deported after raping 12-year-old girl tells him NOT to come back as he tries to smuggle himself back across the Channel

Emal Kochai was thrown out of the UK in 2019 after serving half his jail sentence
    His foster mother has warned him against trying to returning to Britain

By Jamie Phillips For Mailonline

Published: 01:25, 13 March 2023 | Updated: 10:13, 13 March 2023

The foster mother of an Afghan migrant jailed for raping a 12-year-old girl then deported has told him not to come back to Britain as he attempts to smuggle himself across the Channel on a boat.  Emal Kochai, 28, was thrown out of the country in 2019 after serving half a nine-year prison sentence for the attack in Reading five years earlier.   But he is now living in a French migrant camp waiting for his chance to board a dinghy back to the UK.  He had been fostered by a woman in Hungerford, a town near Reading, after claiming asylum in the UK as a 17-year-old in 2012.  The foster mother, who has not been identified, maintains contact with Kochai and is aware he is attempting to return to the UK. But she has warned him against trying to make the journey back.  She told The Times: 'When he said he wanted to come back from Afghanistan I did try and stop him. I said: "There is nothing here for you." His asylum case will be rejected because he's been to prison.  But he loves Britain, the British people, and he wants to come back. I'm concerned if he comes back. I want him to try another country but he loves England.   I told him not to get on a boat. I said "don't do it". I don't want him to drown, he can't swim.'

Kochai last week tried to board a vessel to cross the Channel, but said that police arrived and punctured the boat with a knife.  He is said to have initially been 'homesick for Afghanistan', but now wishes to return to the UK.  The foster mother, a retired teacher who looked after three other Afghan migrants, visited Kochai several times in prison following his conviction.  She added: 'We were devastated when we found out about the accusation, we couldn't believe it. It was very sad that it happened. He moved out of our house because he was 18 and was with the wrong people. He got in trouble.  He was young when it happened and I like to think he's changed. He is full of life. Even in prison he was happy, working in kitchens, doing his lessons, learning a trade.'

Kochai's trial heard how the victim told police he pushed her on to a bed, pulled off her clothing and raped her.  After his deportation to Afghanistan, Kochai left his home country again and said he travelled through Iran, Pakistan and Turkey to make his way to France.  He had earlier been given the option to serve a longer prison sentence and stay in the UK, but took an option of leaving prison earlier and being deported.  His foster mother says he married a woman following his return to Afghanistan, with whom he now has a young daughter, but he wants them to claim asylum in the UK.  Kochai told The Times last week that the Government's Illegal Migration Bill will not stop him attempting to return to the UK with his cousin, his cousin's wife and their two children aged four and six.  He said: 'I will never give up trying to get to the UK. I have been in France for three months and we don't get anything.  In the UK I can get education, a job and a house. My brother was killed by the Taliban in Afghanistan and it is not safe for me there.'

A Home Office source said: 'This case shows exactly why we need genuine deterrent measures in place to stop rapists and other serious criminals illegally entering the UK.'